Giving is Good for Everybody.
Cause of the Quarter
Each quarter GCU chooses a charity to raise funds and awareness for on a local and national level. It's one way we give back and invest in the greater community. Donations are made through the GCU Foundation, a 501(c)(3) charitable entity organized by GCU. Total donations of up to $2,500.00, made through the GCU Foundation in the first quarter of 2018, will be matched by the GCU Board of Directors. The Cause of the Quarter also benefits from sales of the GCU Culinary Chronicle Cookbook-$1 from each book sold goes directly to the Cause of the Quarter.
Cause: The Alzheimer's Association
- 5.7 Million Americans are living with Alzheimer's
- Every 65 seconds someone in the United States develops Alzheimer's Disease
- In 2018 Alzheimer's and other Dementias will cost the nation $277 Billion
- Family and unpaid care givers provide 18.4 Billion hours of care annually
What does the Alzheimer's Association Do?
As the largest nonprofit funder of Alzheimer's research, the Association is committed to accelerating the global progress of new treatments, preventions and ultimately, a cure. Visit our online Research Center.
- We advance the understanding of Alzheimer's through our peer-reviewed research grant program, has invested over $385 million in more than 2,500 scientific investigations since 1982.
- Our annual Alzheimer's Association International Conference® (AAIC)® is the world’s largest conference of its kind, bringing researchers together to report on groundbreaking studies.
- We bring researchers together worldwide to advance scientific data sharing through GAAIN, the Global Alzheimer’s Association International Network, a first-of-its-kind database with advanced analytical tools to accelerate discoveries.
- Our scientific journal, Alzheimer’s & Dementia®, provides a single publication for the global scientific community to share its diverse knowledge.
- Our professional society, Alzheimer's Association International Society to Advance Alzheimer's Research and Treatment (ISTAART), is the only professional society designed exclusively for individuals dedicated to Alzheimer's and dementia science.
- We accelerate clinical studies by connecting healthy volunteers, people with the disease and caregivers to current studies through Alzheimer’s Association TrialMatch®, a free, easy-to-use clinical studies matching service.
- We play a pioneering role in increasing knowledge about prevention. The Association has invested in projects revealing that what’s good for the heart is good for the brain, and that eating a healthy diet, staying physically active and not smoking will help reduce risk of cognitive decline.
GCU Home Office
The GCU home office has relationships with many excellent charities, including:
- The American Cancer Society
- Variety - the Children's Charity
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure
- Boy Scouts of America
- The Salvation Army Project Bundle-Up
- Toys for Tots
- Sisters of St. Basil the Great
- Byzantine Catholic Seminary of SS. Cyril and Methodius
Lodges & Districts
On a local level, our lodges and districts have supported countless causes, including:
- The Seeing Eye
- Catholic Charities
- Operation Christmas Child
- Hot Metal Bridge Faith Community
- Linden Food Bank
- St. Vincent DePaul Society
- Tomorrow's Hope
- Many more