Giving is Good for Everybody.
Cause of the Quarter
Each quarter GCU chooses a charity to raise funds and awareness for on a local and national level. It's one way we give back and invest in the greater community. Donations are made through the GCU Foundation, a 501(c)(3) charitable entity organized by GCU. Total donations of up to $2,500.00, made through the GCU Foundation in the first quarter of 2019, will be matched by the GCU Board of Directors. The Cause of the Quarter also benefits from sales of the GCU Culinary Chronicle Cookbook-$1 from each book sold goes directly to the Cause of the Quarter.
Cause: National Coalition Against Domestic Abuse
The January-March 2019 Cause of the Quarter at GCU will benefit the National Coalition Against Domestic Abuse. The organization's Mission Statement reads: "The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV) is the voice of victims and survivors. We are the catalyst for changing society to have zero tolerance for domestic violence. We do this by affecting public policy, increasing understanding of the impact of domestic violence, and providing programs and education that drive that change."
Some facts on Domestic Abuse
INTIMATE PARTNER PHYSICAL ABUSE:
• More than 10 million Americans are victims of physical violence annually.
• 20 people are victims of physical violence every minute in the United States.
• 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men is a victim of some form of physical violence by an intimate partner during their lifetimes.
• 76% of intimate partner physical violence victims are female; 24% are male.
• 1 in 7 women and 1 in 18 men are severely injured by intimate partners in their lifetimes.
• Domestic violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime in the United States.
• Domestic violence is most common among women aged 18-24 and 25-34.
• A majority of physical abuse is committed by dating partners rather than spouses.
• Intimate partner physical abuse has declined 67% since the passage of the Violence Against Women Act in 1994.
• Slightly more than half of intimate partner physical violence is reported to law enforcement.
Please join GCU in the effort to make Domestic Abuse a thing of the past. To learn more please visit: The National Coalition Against Domestic Abuse website.
GCU Home Office
The GCU home office has relationships with many excellent charities, including:
- The American Cancer Society
- Variety - the Children's Charity
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure
- Boy Scouts of America
- The Salvation Army Project Bundle-Up
- Toys for Tots
- Sisters of St. Basil the Great
- Byzantine Catholic Seminary of SS. Cyril and Methodius
Lodges & Districts
On a local level, our lodges and districts have supported countless causes, including:
- The Seeing Eye
- Catholic Charities
- Operation Christmas Child
- Hot Metal Bridge Faith Community
- Linden Food Bank
- St. Vincent DePaul Society
- Tomorrow's Hope
- Many more